Here are 5 things you could do when some makes a hateful statement:
- Without any emotion on your face or the least distraction simply say “ Thank you for sharing that” as continue with what you were doing. You may repeat it a few more times if necessary. The person will realize that they’re not getting anywhere and give up.
- Ask the person, “Sorry I didn’t quite get what you said, would you repeat it slowly so that I understand?” Most of the people will rephrase their original words and explain that they didn’t really mean it.
- Some people may still persist and here is when you ask the person(not angrily but firmly) “Are you trying to make me feel bad about myself?” Usually they will respond in the negative and try to get more objective.
- If they keep at it respond confidently, “I’m not going to let that in, that’s not going to work.”
- This is the final blow and works almost every time. Face the person and ask them (loud enough for people nearby to hear it), “Are you showing me and the people around us how dissatisfied you are with yourself by behaving like this?” (People who are constantly judging others are simply projecting their insecurities, their negativity, and their fears in their own lives). This will automatically make them self aware, it will also catch the attention of other forcing the bully back away.
wordpress theme jazzsurf.com